Tools Introduction and Usage
Which technology helps me in developing of complex software products? How can I efficiently implement standards such as CMMI or ISO 26262 without ballast? How can I detect more defects at a lower cost? Which tool environment supports my product life-cycle for efficient collaboration with my suppliers? Software, hardware and systems engineering requires systematic processes to deliver the right quality on schedule and within budget. There is a continuous promotion of new technologies, methods and tools for developing technical products and IT. Here it is important to have a clear technology strategy driven by your business, market requirementsand your own employees and their needs.
Vector Consulting Services has started early with adapting and implementing specific engineering methodologies that suit the needs of our clients. We build upon the broad experiences within the Vector Group, which is providing tools and services for specification, verification, validation and product life-cycle management to practically all automotive companies but also other industries world-wide. Vector Consulting Services supports clients with introducing and optimizing effective processes for improved engineering of technical products.
- Quality improvement by early defect detection by means of reviews, design and code analysis, etc.
- Pragmatic and efficient implementation of CMMI and (Automotive) SPICE
- Improvement of methods and processes from requirements engineering and design to test, validation, after sales, product evolution and service
- Introduction and consistent usage of model-based development (methodology, tools, data consistency)
- Tools assessment and benchmarking, tools strategy
- Evaluation, selection, introduction and optimization of tools along the entire product life-cycle
- Quality assurance in engineering (e.g., reviews, quality management, audits)
- Optimizing of product life-cycle management (PLM) and application life-cycle management (ALM)
- Introduction and change management for Vector tools, such as PREEvision
- Introduction and optimization of life-cycle processes, such as product management, requirements engineering, design methods, reviews, test
- Effective organizational change management with sustainable results
- Coaching for engineers and managers for sustainable culture change
Vector Consulting Services is the designated expert for solutions to engineering, PLM and consistent development methodology. We know the world of engineering, and our consultants have broad industry experiences, with an average of over ten years of professional work before starting as consultants. To our customers we are the preferred partner for joint optimization of engineering methodology. This is achieved by our longstanding experiences in managing changes and delivering improvements with measurable success together with our broad industry background with PLM, both as a tools-supplier and integrator. As a partner of companies such as IBM and Siemens, we are capable of integrating engineering and management tools to your own environment.
A technology enterprise had increasing frictions and related losses in product development, with development costs no longer being competitive.
Vector was hired because the company wanted to rely on methodological expertise and a profound change management – on the first attempt. As the main reason for project difficulties we identified requirements engineering, in particular the unsystematic elicitation and development of requirements and the too many uncoordinated changes. Only half of the agreed requirements were delivered with the finished product release. With the client we defined a suitable requirements elicitation process (such as workshops, interviews, etc.) to specify requirements in a standardized notation. It allowed a systematic assessment and analysis of requirements on impact and effort to test and validate the requirements in order to allocate the right requirements to be realized in the project. We also set up a consistent requirements management (RM) process for traceability, change control and measuring progress. After a pilot phase in which the techniques were assessed and optimized for different project types a suitable RM tool was identified, selected and piloted, because it was clear: Good processes are essential for good results, but only the right tool will foster efficiency, and that is what engineers need to accept such change.
With systematic requirements engineering the rework in projects was reduced by 20% and the product development lead time by almost half.